Welcome to our first Blog

This blog is to report the goings on at SpinDoc. Everything from race reports to training blogs.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cyclocross Race #4: Bosque 10/10/12


Cyclocross Race #4
Sunday, Oct. 10, 2012
On the Bosque, SW of Albuquerque

When I saw that Race #4 was at the Bosque, I knew what lay ahead. I remembered it well from Kirk racing it last year. About half of the race venues have a distinctive feature which makes them very memorable. The Pojoaque Wellness Center has the uneven rock stairs. The Bosque race features a very steep, loose sandy and rocky run-up. I remember standing at the top of it last year with Reyna, urging racers on, bikes on their backs as they ran up. Yeah, I knew exactly what we were in for.

I thought this was going to be our first really cold morning, but it wasn’t so bad and warmed up pretty quickly with the sun. We got to the Bosque with plenty of time to pre-ride most of the course, and what little I didn’t preview was a known entity: the run-up. No question as to the best strategy to tackle that one with!

The bulk of the course consisted of powder sand reminiscent of Polk Elementary and hard packed dirt. The sand on the Bosque was in the trees and generally not as deep as Polk, making them pretty navigable. The laps were long, though.

After the juniors, it was my turn. Many of the usual gals didn’t make it, so all three groups were small. To my interest, however, US mountain bike champ Nina Baum was there to race in the Cat. 1/2/3 women. (To read a brief bio on Nina, click here: http://notubesracing.com/womenselite/index.php/team-members/nina-baum/)  Although I knew I’d be left in the dust (literally!) I would have loved to ride behind her, watching, trying to copy, trying to follow her line. My only real hope was not to have her lap me in my first go ’round!

I decided to try to take off stronger than I usually do, and was all revved up to really race. It seemed a course where I might have some advantage as the sand was ride-able, and I’m pretty steady and faster than many on a run-up. The masters 50 women only had three takers so, as we lined up, Kirk hollered out that we all looked good for a podium spot. I didn’t recognize one of the women, and the other was Sheila, who always takes the first, so I figured I had a good shot at the silver. 

We took off, and I pedaled hard down the short packed straightaway holding my own while Sheila took off ahead of us. Taking a left turn we hit the first bit of shallow sand. Snaking right, then left, a right hander took us in a u-turn around a single very large tree under which lay some of the deepest sand, littered with sticks and leaves. On the first turn around the tree, my rear wheel went out from under me so much that I had to put a foot down.  Resuming, I saw the other rider in my group pulling away, and I pedaled hard to catch her. A little hard pack let me gain some momentum before I hit more sand. In some places there was a clear line showing where the sand wasn’t as deep or was more passable; in others the many grooves in the sand made it clear there was no “best line” to take.  Making my way through I hit another easier patch and put on a bit more speed again, still in my quest to catch and overtake the other woman.

More deeper sand heading into the maze of trees and whomp! No warning, I’m flying over the handlebars. I don’t remember anything – it happened so fast – I don’t remember how I landed, or getting up – but I recall a couple ladies behind me, passing me asking if I’m okay. I’m trying to figure out why my bike won’t move, why the front wheel is stuck. I’m about to throw it on my shoulder for my first ever run to the pit when I noticed a very short, thick stick barely sticking out from between the rim and the fork. I wiggled it out, and was relieved to find nothing more was amiss.

I jumped back on, but felt like the wind was knocked out of my sails. Now every bit of sand seemed harder to navigate, the winding through the trees was slow and I just knew short thick sticks lurked everywhere under all that sand. I was determined to simply finish, but I didn’t really want to finish last. Yet every time I had to put a foot down, or my back tire went out I wondered what the heck I was bothering for. It was a drag, and I spent the rest of the first lap trying to muster up some enthusiasm. Passing the pit on the first side took me out to a challenging 90-degree hard right up a sandy berm to a left turn into a sandy roll-down – the first part of that sequence was much more challenging than the roll-down which looked tenuous but was very manageable.

That led to something of an anomaly in ‘cross: a long straight length of packed dirt. Another left turn back down a mild slope led back into more sand, more switchbacks and more trees. Passing the far side of the pit to a u-turn around another tree brought some sand respite with a bit of packed dirt and emergence from the trees. Yay! No more sticks.

Heading around the second tree.
A right turn took us onto the last sandy stretch, and probably the most challenging. (On my last lap I saw one of the Cat 1/2 ladies slow considerably into that sandy right turn, which made me feel better. It’s not just me that slows down a lot heading onto the sand. When I talked to her later, she said she’d had two hard get-offs and, by the time I saw her, was proceeding with caution.)

Back to my first lap, I had a rough time on that last bit of sand. I was still out of sorts from my tuck-and-roll, and instead of struggling through the turns got off and rolled the bike a bit. I wasn’t racing any more, so what the heck. Glad I did so: I looked down, and saw an 18” long piece of heavy steel waiting to cause an accident. I picked it up – it was heavy – and threw it off the course. From that last sand strip it was pretty much all hard-pack past the run up, into a u-turn, down a sandy but manageable descent and back to the foot of the run up. I didn’t bother to run up it, at least the first time. I shouldered the bike, and kept moving but didn’t hoof it. At the top I remounted on gravel, and a mild down slope set you at the top of what, for me, was the most unnerving sandy descent. I rode it every time, and from there it was hard pack straightaway to the start/finish line to start Lap 2.

On lap 2 I gained a bit more confidence, and decided I really didn't want to finish last. Where comfortable, I tried to increase some power and speed. I rode all the sand under the trees, got a bit more of a feel for the dicey parts, and must’ve made up some time (even running up the run-up this time) as by lap 3 I passed a few Cat. 4 riders. I too got passed by Nina and several other Cat. 1/2 ladies – so I knew I would only be doing 3 laps total. That worked for me! Tove passed me heading into the last stretch of sand, so I stayed as close on her wheel as I could, and she called some tips as we rode: put a foot down here in the turn and throw the bike around it, then keep riding; take the outside line coming out of the sand there. It was awesome.

I did in fact avoid coming in last, but couldn’t exactly say I’d had a fun race.

Back at the truck I changed into civilian clothing so I could pit for the guys. Meanwhile, the Cat. 1/2/3 guys were racing. Like the women’s race, it included a notable: Travis Brown, an inductee into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in 2006 was there to race (see http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=6&memberid=156).

More or less on time the guys lined up to start: Kirk, David, Chip (one of SpinDoc’s ‘cross converts, out for his third race), and Peter, a friend of Tove and Jerry’s trying his hand for the first time. Randy, one of Albuquerque’s racers, was there, and we met a young man named Andrew who was racing under his employer’s kit, BTI (one of the biggest US distributors of bike parts who happens to be here in Santa Fe, and a frequent stop on the SpinDoc errand route). Tove and I headed to the pit nestled in the trees and sand as soon as the guys took off. Kirk and his chief competitor, a guy named Jimmy, simply duked it out for the first half of the race. Neck and neck, they pushed each other, but Jimmy finally got a bit of advantage on a switch back through the sand. It was fun to watch all the racers and cheer them on; I cheer everyone I know, and many I don’t. It’s such a help when you’re out there!

Tove heckling the guys: Kirk nearest Tove, then Chip and David
At one point David was heading towards the pit calling that he had a flat. I’d been holding Kirk’s “B” bike, and in the smaller-than-usual pit had to find a spot to quickly put it down and grab my Breezer hardtail for David. He’d never done a hand-off yet did a pretty quick transition. Meanwhile, I had help getting his rear wheel off and putting the spare wheel on, and then pumping the one that came off to see if the sealant inside could fix the flat. At the same time, I continued to watch for Kirk if needed to pit. When David came back around, we had his cross bike ready for him to switch back to. That run-up was painful with a mountain bike! He was happy but surprised to be able to jump back on and finish on his cross bike.
Jimmy chasing Kirk 'round the second tree in powder dirt 
All the while, Kirk had continued to gain on Jimmy again. He went from a 25 second gap to a 17 second gap and, by the time they crossed the finish line, Tove said it was a 9 second gap. Wow. That’s a hellova ride!

Chip and Peter had a good race, and ended up in a sprint against each other for the finish. We thought Peter was gonna get it, but Chip put his head down and crossed first. It was fun to watch. I think they both had fun – at least when we saw them, they were both grinning.

But then that’s cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment